Friday, February 12, 2010

Week 4

So far Ive had a pretty good week. Last Thursday I went snowboarding for the first time, and it was quite an experience. Luckily my friend Kate and a guy that works for Cleanevent, Adrian, went up the mountain with me and taught me somewhat how to snowboard. It took me three hours to get down the mountain the first time, but the second time it only took me an hour, which was a major improvement. The second time down I started to get the hang of it. Luckily a guy I work with let me borrow his snowboarding gear, so that saved me some money. I definitely had a great time and I am hoping to go again before I leave!

Work has pretty much been the same. I’ve learned a few new thins in the office, but other than that it has pretty much been the same things, time sheets, daily reports, transport, accreditation, etc. We got a new schedule for the office, and I hopefully will get a chance to get out of the office more so than I have in the previous week. Unfortunately, if I do want to go to other venues it will have to be before or after my shifts which means most likely I will have to work 12-15 hour days. I’m not complaining because I am getting the opportunity of a lifetime.

We now have classes incorporated into our schedules, and during our class times we have guest speakers and we get to tour all the venues. On Tuesday I had class and the owner of the company, Paul Lovett, came and spoke to us for a few hours, and then we got to go take a tour of the Athletes Village. The Athletes Village is really cool. There are obviously athletes everywhere which is pretty cool. On the housing in the Village, the athletes have their flags up representing their countries which is pretty neat to see the team pride!

Today is supposed to be my day off but I decided to come to the Athletes Village and get the experience that the others get to work at a venue. They had a parade today and the athletes walked through the village with all their team gear on. The parade was for the athletes as they head off to Vancouver for the Opening Ceremony tonight. Unfortunately it has been a sad day, because of the luge accident that happened at the Whistler Sliding Center. Nodar Kumaritashvili from Georgia passed away today from the accident, so everyone should keep his family in friends in your thoughts and prayers! Other than the sad news, today has been pretty interesting. I enjoy working at the Athletes Village and I look forward to checking out all the other venues. I think I will be heading to the Sliding Center on Sunday so we will see how that goes. Until then I hope everyone enjoys watching the Olympics!

No comments:

Post a Comment